I am currently working on a brand new project called the "Transportable Multi Functional System". I would call it the pc-in-a-box, but TMFS did sound a bit better for me. At this current moment the cost for it all is estimated at 250 euro barebone (without casing), and will run on a car battery. Its a complete server with a CF-card for the hard drive. I am not sure how much power it actually will drain from the car, because I havent checked it yet with a multimeter, but I try to keep it as low as possible. If people want one too, be patient, maybe I will sell clones.
I am sure that it cant beat a mini-laptop (its too expensive), but it is suitable for the following things:
1. Sentry turret for paintball/airsoft (am planning on building this one)
2. Reprap managment system (just put it in the back of your car and let it control the reprap, while you are making new items in the passenger seat and sending it to the back)
3. Wardriving (laptops in the front of the car are a rare sight, and can easely be spotted by cops. With the casing around it they cant blame you of wardriving, even if you open it).
4. Webserver-on-the-road (Just drive, and everyone with iphone/laptop can connect to it on the road)
The complete prototype that I am building will contain the following parts in a hard casing:
1. A special 12V DC-DC converter
2. 4gig CF harddrive
3. mini ATX motherboard with 2gig ram
5. GPS unit
8. Custom software
If someone can make a good logo to put on the case, then I would gladly appreciate it if you could send it to me.